Sunday, May 18, 2008

Training Day 1

So of course, I decided I'd better start training. Walking six to eight hours a day is going to be no joke, especially across the Spanish plains in July. Today I had my first day off in what seems like MONTHS, and thought I'd see how far I could get.

I left my house and headed up Rt. 234. Two hours later, I stopped in at the Subway where 234 meets Hoadly, to get a sandwich and write for a bit. I was knackered. It really surprised me how tired I was. I've always been a walker...it was the only way to get around to see friends and go places in high school in Okinawa, and I remember days I'd set off and just walk forEVER, it seemed. How easy it is to forget that that was 13 years ago. So the walking was easy, but I was exhausted when I stopped. In two hours, I'd covered about 7 or 8 miles (I'll drive it later to see for sure).

I need to remember that this was Day One. Otherwise I'll be very disappointed that, a mile or two into the way back, I decided my legs hurt too bad and my bourgeoning blisters were too threatening to continue, and called my sister-in-law to come get me. Amazing how in five minutes, we covered what would have taken me another hour and a half.

One thing that concerns me was that today was drizzly, overcast, and about 60 degrees. The Camino will probably be hot, sunny, and average about 90. The books I'm reading on it talk about walking into towns in the midafternoon to find nothing open due to siesta time. They also talk about long stretches of 30 km or more, with no shade, no civilization, and maps indicating lone water pumps that cannot be trusted to produce water of any quality in the high summer.

This is going to be no easy task.

Another thing that worries me is the training I'm going to have to do between now and then. I feel fine about the prospect of spending a month walking towards a definite destination. But the fact that preparing for it will require I spend hours and HOURS every week just WALKING through my own town...when there are always a million other things I'd like to be doing...is daunting. Walking here, and walking back. Walking there, and walking back. Walking and walking and walking...and then bumming a ride back. It's going to feel kind of pointless, I think. I hope not.

On the other hand, it is kind of interesting to think of how long it would take to walk the ten-minute drive to my mom's shop, or to my Starbucks, or even across town to my hangout. We don't think about distances in our automotive society. If we do, we think in terms of gas mileage. I'm going to be thinking about it in terms of shoe leather, I guess. Planning to meet someone at Starbucks can happen at the drop of a hat...well, now I could set out for such a meeting two hours prior and just get there in time.

I'm sure people around me think I have a new harebrained plan every week, and they never happen. If I were smarter, I'd play my cards a little closer to my vest and keep my plans to myself in order to avoid getting a reputation for being flighty. But I can't help it. I get too excited, caught up in the plan, and want to tell everyone. Plus, saying it out loud makes it more real...makes it seem more likely that I'll actually do it.

So stay tuned. Hopefully there'll be more of this to come.

Training Day One Total: 9.3 miles

No comments: