Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Finisterra in the Moonlight

Aaaaaaand...Christa and I are locked out. Ha ha ha. This will be quick, because I only have 13 minutes and am killing time.

Skip made an AMAZING dinner...rizotto. I´ve never eaten any one thing before with so many different flavors going on at once. It was fabulous. He also made a hot German potato salad. Christa had brought ice cream, we had red and white wine, and I brought two little boxes of truffles. It was faboooooo....

After dinner, Christa and I collapsed onto the couches in pre-food-coma mode. Ricardo, the Italian staying with us, had heard about some kind of beach party...buncha peregrinos having a get-together on the beach. The boys were keen to go, but Christa and I wanted to just chill out and maybe take a walk. So off they went.

It wasn´t long before Christa and I decided to take a walk, maybe find the boys, and just take it easy around the town. So we got ready to go...and no key.

THE BOYS HAVE BOTH SETS OF KEYS.

No prob...we´ll just go to the beach to find them.

Uh. Which beach?

NO idea. We thought they´d be at the little one towards the lighthouse, only a 5 minute walk away. Nope.

In the other direction is a much bigger beach, so we headed off that way...I knew the way since I´d walked in and had gone back and forth between the center of town and the sports hall yesterday to get my pack. So we hit the beach. Which was DARK. But quiet and peaceful and moonlit and waves crashing and soft sand. Christa picked up a thousand shells along the way. I made a plastic cup full of the white wine from dinner last longer than anyone else I know could have. We saw flashlights and headed towards them, but it was just Esteban, the unicycle guy (who, I forgot to report, made it to Santiago and then to Finisterra) and four girls who were setting up a tent with him. Apparently they´re sleeping on the beach tonight, which is cool. They hadn´t seen Skip and Ricardo. So we went further. Dodged some fishermen in the dark, picked up more shells, stopped and lay on our backs for a while, looking at the stars and the moon and listening to the little waves crashing. I thought about how, almost exactly a year ago, I was doing the exact same thing with a bonfire near Pebble Beach in CA, listening to the Pacific crashing on the shore nearby, and here I was now, on a beach at the end of the world in Spain, listening to the Atlantic crashing on the shore nearby. It was about 6pm back home by this time, and I put my hands in the water and wondered if my lil nephew was in the waves on the other side of the ocean at that moment....

No boys. Aaaaaaand then it started to rain. So we walked back to the town (a little quicker this time, but not to quick to enjoy how the moon looked on the water) and laughed about how, if the boys hadn´t found their party, then they were just two dudes walking on a moonlit beach, and how uptight two American guys would be about that. Haha.

So here we are in a deserted bar, waiting for them to come find us, watching the Olympic reviews, and thinking about how I´m on that bus in less than 7 hours now and GOD only knows when an Italian and an Australian with two bottles of red wine with them and countless beautiful European peregrinas in town will decide to mosey on back home. Neither one of us wants to buzz Ursula...she´s been wonderful and we don´t want to incur her wrath....

So hope this cider lasts long enough...and that they come home soon. The alarm is set, so I should make it onto the bus. Just hope the boys come back before morning so it can be WITH MY STUFF....

SIGH.



If you´re just checking in, I posted about the day below...this is just a little something extra for the evening....


WHAT is everyone CRYING about???? lol =)

3 comments:

The Environmental Muse said...

AHAHAHAHAHA-typical boys-even at the end of the world!
No matter. :)
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your walk anyways.............and it sounds absolutely gorgeous.
Can't wait for you to come home.
<3-Jenn

ksam said...

'Cause we always cry when we're happy!! Shoulda seen me at my sons wedding last week, w/an entire row of groomsmen laughing everytime the glanced back at me! Brats!
Thinking of you right now and hoping the trip back goes well!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.