Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Made it!!!





I am here in St. Jean Pied de Port after 22 hours of almost nonstop travel. Immediate note: keyboards are NOT the same in France as in the US, and God only knows what Spain's will be like. So typing this is going kind of slowly, which, combined with a 10pm curfew at the alburgue, means this will be short. After two flights, a LONG bus ride through Paris, and two train rides, I arrived in SJPP and said hello to a girl in front of me who was also carrying a pack. Her name is Clara from Holland and she had a reservation at a hostel...i did not. I followed her there, and they had ONE extra bed, which is now mine. 23 Euro got me enough dinner to choke a horse, a bed, a breakfast, and a packed lunch for tomorrow...GOOD DEAL.

Roncesvalles is FAR. Think strength at me; I'll need it.

Wish I could tell everything...perhaps tomorrow, perhaps will be too tired.

Randoms: just got a pilgrim's passport and my first stamp. Alburgue is beautiful. Tonight's crowd is mostly Dutch and German, all of whom comment on my last name. Ten of them look to be in their 50s...the other three are thirtyish. No hat yet. Scenery gorgeous...mountains daunting. MUST SHOWER SOON. =)

All for tonight...am alive and well and fed and sheltered and tomorrow I begin The Camino!!

2 comments:

Michelle Haseltine said...

This is so exciting. I admire what you are doing. I want you to know that I am here in Virginia thinking of your amazing trip. Remember to enjoy the journey!

Michelle

The Belle said...

We're so glad you made it and can't wait for further episodes of your progress on your journey! Take lots and lots of pictures!!

Love, MaBelle