Thursday, July 17, 2008

Viana to Navarette

YAAAAY!!! Am totally high on comments and support and emails. Thanks so much for the following!!! =)=)=)

Unbelievably rushed at the moment. Stayed too long outside the albergue drinking La Rioja´s finest wine (mostly beer, but I do have a glass of wine beside me) and didn´t realize it was quarter to ten because it stays light so late here...found out that´s because all of Europe is on ONE time zone!!! ??? Anyway, I have now 7 minutes till I get locked out of the albergue next door, and the internet is here at the bar. So I have 18 minutes left on the computer but can only use 7. The up'side is that I wrote in my journal today. Decided to make the journal quick notes so I can be more organized when I´m actually on the computer, and not trying to remember everything that happened during the day. So tomorrow I should be fine to tell the story.

Short version: Good day today. Just for me. The boys were miserable. Spent several hours midday in Logroño doing a scavenger hunt with Skip Norris the Aussie. Accomplished all missions and made it to the stop point today to catch up with Hank, Mimi, Jocelyn (the French women from day one, been with us most nights, haven´t mentioned them).

Will have to update this one in the morning. Easy day tomorrow to Nájera, so I´ll take time before I leave to write, as long as the bar is open in the morning. We´ll see. Skip Norris´s feet hurt so bad now, he moves pretty slow, so I might let him go ahead and catch up with him later. I beat him here today by about 45 minutes.

John: I found your bull and got lots of pictures. Very confusing since you said it was outside Logroño and it is outside Navarette. Cannot get on Facebook. Also not trying Myspace anymore because it keeps crashing computers.

Gotta go. More in the morning or tomorrow night. Thanks again for all the love, and G&G...so glad you´re comment-able now!!! =)

PS - I got permission to announce...Byron is having a BOY!!!! =)=)=)=)=)

6 comments:

Aunt Carolyn said...

Who is Bryon?

Learned to make an email fish, in case you need one.

<*))))><

(He looks dead, but I don't have a little eye circle.)

Rich is in CA for golf tourney.

Unknown said...

Christine,
There is only one, will only ever be one, Drew Swift. You know this to be true. While I realize that you met some other aussie who you have projected my strength on to help you through this, there is only one me. Let's not have to repeat this lesson.
A few pieces of advice. 1) Your feet are supposed to hurt. They don't call it humping for no reason. Take care of your feet, change socks frequently! 2) Now that we know your feet are supposed to hurt, do not but some damn sandals for creature comfort. You have a great pair of boots and you are now just getting past the "getting to know you phase". 3)When sipping water from a camel back never gulp down water. Shoots straight to the back of your throat with out moisturizing your mouth. Sip in a mouth full of water, swish it around, and then spit some out and swallow the rest. Allows the water to do it's job in your mouth while hydrating the rest of you. Remember, your body will tell your mouth to dry out when you are dehydrating so cotton mouth is a bad thing. 4) Walk the declines in a zigzag. This allows you to spreadload the weight on your knees from left to right and allows you to use the stabilizers on the sides of your knee to absorb some of that load. 5) Put your big girl pants on every morning you are out there. Do not come home knowing that you could have charged and choose not to. You come from a line of people that do not know how to take the easy way out, this is in your DNA. Draw upon that for strength when needed and never stop charging. Above all else, remember that you have a ton of folks back home who are drawing inspiration from your journey and that are truly proud of you.
This blog has just become part of my daily reading requirements. Thanks for taking us along. Keep your head up and on a swivel and always think, what would Chuck Norris do? Be safe and travel well.
Drew

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Big Mike said...

Well, I sent you an Email last nite, don't know if you got it seein as you're kinda rushed today, basically said what Drew said with the Engelen spin on it. Keep up the great progress and keeping the stateside ones dreaming about once traveled foreign lands. Eric asks about his aunt on her long hike (I correct him and tell him its a hump) WWCND?

Unknown said...

Stickyfingers,
Gramma says hello! I worry about your knee and your numbness in your limbs. Hope you continue to have fun and enjoy the new friends that you are making.
Grandma S